The Golden Hour
The first hour after your baby’s birth is a special time that can never be recaptured. At UAMS we think this special time should be for your baby to meet you for the first time while being held in skin to skin contact with mom. This contact keeps babies warm, reassured and calm, enhances the bond between mother and child, and can help make the first breastfeed a beautiful experience. Our goal is to let this first hour be all about you and your baby, and we will seek to minimize any interruptions or separation if at all possible during this special time. Friends and family are encouraged to visit after this special bonding time between mother, father and infant.
Our breastfeeding classes are free of charge and offered at two locations:
- At the Women’s Health Clinic at Cedar and 8th
- Thursdays 9am-11am (centering room) – English speaking groups, conducted by a certified lactation counselor
- Second Thursday of the month 2-4pm (centering room) – for Spanish speakers, conducted by a certified breastfeeding medical interpreter
- At Financial Center Parkway
- Mondays 9am-11am (centering room)
Questions about medications and mother’s milk?
Call the Infant Risk Center At Texas Tech University Health Science Center