UAMS Medical Center is the premier teaching hospital and acute care referral center in the state of Arkansas. As a teaching facility, we have a high level of staff expertise in a wide variety of specializations.
We’re located on the campus of the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS), the state’s only institution of professional and graduate education devoted solely to health and biological sciences. Our medical staff serves as faculty for the 1800 UAMS students.
Also located on the campus is the Winthrop P. Rockefeller Cancer Institute, a multidisciplinary cancer treatment and research facility delivering the best in diagnostic and therapeutic services.
Our Department of Ophthalmology created and operates the Jones Eye Institute. Our new Cardiac Arrythmia Intervention Center offers expanded diagnostic and treatment capabilities. Magnetic Resonance Imaging is here on site.
We deliver patient care from 400 licensed beds, a 24-hour emergency room, and an Outpatient Center from which we offer outpatient surgery.
Along with our affiliated nurses and physicians, we have long been at the forefront of medical care, not just in Arkansas, but in the nation.
Our history is rich for breaking new medical ground:
- First successful kidney transplant in Arkansas.
- First open-heart surgery in Arkansas.
- First bone marrow transplant in Arkansas.
- First balloon dilation of coronary arteries in Arkansas.
- One of only 12 sites in the world permitted to use laser angioplasty to remove atherosclerotic plaque from the body’s peripheral vascular system.
- One of nine U.S. Head and Neck Cancer Control Centers.
- First to treat sickle cell disease in Arkansas.
- First to offer a full range of child psychiatric services in Arkansas.
- First high-risk nursery in Arkansas.
This is what a great hospital should be. This is UAMS Medical Center. https://web.uams.edu/about/fast-facts/.