Some families choose to have a memorial service for their baby. If this is your choice, this page will give you some things to think about as you plan.
Make it personal
The most important thing is that the service is meaningful to you.
Consider the location
You may decide to have the service where your baby is buried, or another place where you feel comfortable.
Plan the service
Once you know the day and time for the service, also think about these details:
- Who do you want to attend?
- Who will take part in the service (Do you want siblings or other children to be involved? Would you like a clergy or another person to direct the service?)
- What do you want said during the service? Do you want any special readings, prayers, or songs?
- Do you want to display any photos or special decorations?
Write the obituary and program
- Think about the information you want to include in your baby’s obituary. Your funeral home can help you write the obituary and submit it to the local newspaper.
- Decide what you want to print in the program. You may want to include your baby’s obituary, a special reading, prayer, poem, or quote, or photos.
Honor your baby
- Create a memorial garden, or plant a tree or flower in their name
- Wear jewelry with a special charm or their birthstone
- Have bubbles, or a balloon, butterfly or lantern release
- Light a candle in honor of your baby
- Write letters to your baby
- Write your thoughts in a journal
- Write poems or songs about or to your baby
- Make a photo album or memory box
- Ask others to donate to a local group or hospital in memory of your baby
UAMS Chaplain Services are available 24/7 to help you plan/support you!
Please call (501) 516-9120