Is it Baby Blues, Postpartum Depression or Grief?
What is Baby Blues?
Baby Blues are very common mood swings after the birth of a baby. Some of the common symptoms of Baby Blues are:
- Weepiness or crying for no apparent reason
- Trouble sleeping
- Mood changes
- Poor Concentration
Many of these symptoms are also signs of grief and can be normal. Talking about these emotions, changes, and challenges is one of the best ways to cope.
What is Postpartum Depression/Anxiety/Mood Disorder?
Postpartum Depression and Mood Disorders and Depression are more severe than Baby Blues. Symptoms may include the following:
- Feeling sad, hopeless, and/or overwhelmed
- Trouble eating or sleeping
- Feelings of guilt and worthlessness
- Losing interest in things you used to enjoy
- Withdrawing from family and friends
- Racing thoughts that you have difficulty controlling
- Constant worry
- Fear that something bad is going to happen
- Trouble sitting still and focusing
- Physical symptoms such as dizziness, hot flashes, and nausea
- Thoughts of hurting yourself or others
What to do if you think you need help
Do not feel ashamed to ask for help, information, and support for yourself. You can call POSTPARTUM SUPPORT INTERNATIONAL at 1-800-944-4773 or visit www.postpartum.net
- Develop a support team for your family. Ask for help. Say YES when they
- Take time for yourself.
- Talk to other families who have come through this.
Caring for Yourself
It is especially important to care for your physical and emotional health.Get Tips for Your Health