Volunteers play an important and intricate role on the UAMS campus by helping enrich patients’ and their families’ experiences while being treated at UAMS.
As UAMS continues to expand its volunteer community, the Volunteer Services Department is committed to the following characteristics of its volunteers:
- UAMS volunteers have the necessary competencies and professionalism to play an intricate role in the field of health care.
- UAMS volunteers are committed to upholding the rights of the patient while being a vital asset to the staff and faculty of UAMS.
- UAMS volunteers maintain privacy and safety standards for the benefit of the University Hospital campus.
- UAMS volunteers feel a calling or are drawn to serve with compassion, kindness, sincerity and friendliness, and without necessity of compensation, pay or other physical benefit.
- UAMS volunteers stay abreast of hospital policies, changes or informative notices, while continuing to be a voice for positive change and offering invaluable ideas for the UAMS of tomorrow.
Where Can You Serve?
Volunteers are rewarded by relationships with patients, faculty, staff, and fellow volunteers. By giving their time, volunteers receive valuable leadership skills, patient care skills, and various other abilities paramount in the life of health care.
Inpatient Unit Support
Volunteers can assist with a variety of tasks including answering call lights, visiting with patients, running errands for nursing staff, and more.
Volunteers assist gift shop staff and customers with restocking, wrapping, pricing items, and cashier duties. All proceeds go to the UAMS Auxiliary.
Family Resource Center
Volunteers serve as concierges, greeting patients and family members, providing information about hospital and city resources, and more.
Volunteers are able to hold stable babies, read to, or talk to babies, and provide therapeutic touch.
Find Additional Volunteer Opportunities
UAMS also welcomes students 18 and over to volunteer with us during their summer break. We require all applications to be submitted by May 15 of each year. Please indicate that you are a summer volunteer on your application.
**Summer Volunteers (including returning volunteers) must apply by May 15 to be considered for summer placement.**
For more information on volunteering, please contact Mattie Thacker, volunteer coordinator, at 501-686-5657 or through email at firstname.lastname@example.org