Amit Agarwal, M.D. Pulmonologist
Primary Appointment Location
Arkansas Children’s Hospital
1 Children's Way
Little Rock, AR 72202
- Appointment Phone Number
- (501) 263-2621
New and Returning Patients
- Provides Second Opinion
- Patient Type
- Children and Adolescents
About Dr. Agarwal
Amit Agarwal, M.D., FAAP, is an associate professor in the pediatric pulmonary and sleep medicine division at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and Arkansas Children’s Hospital. Dr. Agarwal is a clinical researcher at the Arkansas Children’s Hospital Research Institute and serves as the medical director of the chronic vent service line at Arkansas Children’s Hospital.
Dr. Agarwal’s primary clinical interest focuses on bronchopulmonary dysplasia, chronic lung disease in children, chronic invasive and noninvasive ventilator strategies, and disparities in health care in children with BPD, emphasizing high-risk children with pulmonary hypertension and underserved populations. He also has an interest in children with interstitial lung disease—cystic fibrosis.
Dr. Agarwal serves as part of a multi-disciplinary clinic for patients with BPD, chronic respiratory failure, neuromuscular disease, pulmonary hypertension, and single ventricle physiology.
Dr. Agarwal's Academic Background
Dr. Amit Agarwal received his MBBS degree in 1998 from the Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi University, and completed Postgraduate M.D. in Pediatrics at Lok Nayak Hospital in 2002; completed Pediatric Residency at Michigan State University 2005. He completed Pediatric Pulmonary fellowship training at UAMS in 2011. He joined the faculty of UAMS in August 2011, where He is a member of the Division of Pediatric Pulmonary and sleep medicine.
Dr. Agarwal is certified by the American Board of Pediatrics in General Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology, and he currently meets requirements for maintenance of certification. He is a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics/Arkansas Chapter/Pulmonology Section, Arkansas Medical Society, American Thoracic Society/American Association of Respiratory Care, Indian Academy of Pediatrics, and Society for Pediatric Research. National BPD Collaborative, Cure SMA society, PPMD.
- Associate Professor
- University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
- Michigan State University
- Postgraduate Training
- Lok Nayak Hospital
- Medical School
- Maulana Azad Medical College
- American Board of Pediatrics - Pediatric Pulmonology
- American Board of Pediatrics
- Arkansas State Medical Board
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Arkansas Medical Society
- American Thoracic Society
- Society for Pediatric Research
Dr. Agarwal's Research
Research InterestsDr. Amit Agarwal's primary research interest focuses on Bronchopulmonary dysplasia, Chronic Lung disease in children, Chronic invasive and noninvasive ventilator strategies, and disparities in health care in children with BPD, emphasizing high-risk children with Pulmonary hypertension and underserved populations. Other research interests include Neuromuscular disease, specifically Duchenne Muscular dystrophy and Spinal muscular Atrophy. He has designed innovative projects that utilize telemedicine and mobile phone technology to improve health outcomes for children on chronic invasive ventilation. His research is funded by the Arkansas Biosciences Institute, Arkansas Children's Research Institute.
- Chalwadi UK, Swamy N, Agarwal A, Gauss CH, Greenberg SB, Lyons KA. Determining normal values for lower trachea and bronchi size in children by computed tomography (CT). Pediatr Pulmonol. 2021 Sep; 56(9):2940-2948. doi: 10.1002/ppul.25536 PMID: 34133085.
View in Pubmed: 34133085
- Harada Y, Rao VK, Arya K, Kuntz NL, DiDonato CJ, Napchan-Pomerantz G, Agarwal A, Stefans V, Katsuno M, Veerapandiyan A. Combination molecular therapies for type 1 spinal muscular atrophy. Muscle Nerve. 2020 Oct; 62(4):550-554. doi: 10.1002/mus.27034 PMID: 32710634.
View in Pubmed: 32710634
- Willis LD, Lowe G, Pearce P, Spray BJ, Willis R, Scott A, Carroll JL, Agarwal A. Transition From an ICU Ventilator to a Portable Home Ventilator in Children. Respir Care. 2020 Dec; 65(12):1791-1799. doi: 10.4187/respcare.07641 PMID: 32636274.
View in Pubmed: 32636274
- Davis KA, Edgar-Zarate CL, Bonilla-Velez J, Atkinson TN, Tulunay-Ugur OE, Agarwal A. Using Didactics and Simulation to Enhance Comfort, Knowledge, and Skills of Nonsurgical Trainees Caring for Patients With Tracheostomy and Laryngectomy. Simul Healthc. 2019 Dec; 14(6):384-390. doi: 10.1097/SIH.0000000000000392 PMID: 31804423.
View in Pubmed: 31804423
- Steele RW, Agarwal A, Carroll JL. On the road to value-based payment for children with chronic respiratory disease: Are we there yet? Pediatr Pulmonol. 2019 Nov; 54(11):1650-1651. doi: 10.1002/ppul.24526 PMID: 31549488.
View in Pubmed: 31549488
UAMS Research Profile
Each UAMS faculty member has a research profile page that includes biographical and contact information, a list of their most recent grant activity and a list of their PubMed publications.
UAMS providers care for a broad range of conditions, some of which may not be listed below.
- Airway Disorders
- Airway Obstruction
- Breathing Disorders
- Breathing Disorders of Sleep
- Chest Pain
- Chest Wall Deformity
- Cystic Fibrosis (CF)
- Cystic Fibrosis Liver Disease
- Diaphragmatic Paralysis
- Lung Disease
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pulmonary Nodules
- Shortness of Breath
Medical Treatments and Procedures Performed
UAMS providers perform and prescribe a broad range of treatments and procedures, some of which may not be listed below.