Specialty Pharmacy Services
Your doctor and your pharmacy specialist will work together to take care of you during your treatment. We offer a variety of special services to our patients which can be found in our welcome packet.
As a patient of the UAMS Specialty Pharmacy Service you can expect the following:
- Help with insurance issues and financial assistance
- 24/7 access to a pharmacist 365 days a year
- Individualized care focusing on your needs and expectations
- Medication education (both oral and written) that you can understand and a personal resource available to discuss any question
- Regular follow up by a pharmacy specialist to be sure you are getting the most from your treatment
- Monthly refill reminders to be sure you have your medicine when you need it
- Free shipping to your address of choice by our in-house coordinators
Please call us toll free at 844-686-5100 or email email@example.com with any questions you may have.
Specialty Pharmacy Services Team
Access to specialty medications takes a lot of work, and our team is here to do the job for you. We handle insurance coverage, prior authorizations,financial assistance, education and monitoring. UAMS Specialty Pharmacy Services serves each UAMS patient with individualized care.
UAMS Specialty Pharmacy Services has clinical pharmacists working in the clinic with your doctor. These specialists serve as a resource for the physicians as well as the patients. These specialists have expert knowledge in the disease states they serve. They counsel patients in the clinic and provide information regarding access to specialty medications. A specialist is available 24 hours a day to answer questions.
The Specialty Pharmacy Coordinators work with the specialists to be sure our patients have their medications when they need them. They process prior authorizations for the specialty medications in concert with the specialists. These dedicated technicians also help make these medications more affordable with manufacturer or grant assistance. With monthly reminder calls, the coordinators set up shipments or have the refills ready for pick up in the UAMS Outpatient Pharmacy when requested.
UAMS Specialty Pharmacy Services is currently serving in in the following: medical oncology/hematology, cystic fibrosis, lipid disorders, hepatitis B, solid organ transplant, pulmonary arterial hypertension, multiple sclerosis, Hepatitis C treatment, infectious disease, inflammatory diseases and myeloma treatments. The specialists in these clinics work with your physicians every day and have access to your electronic medical record. This helps us take better care of you and gives you faster service.
The term specialty medication can be defined many ways. Specialty medications usually are very expensive or require close monitoring. Because of their cost, insurers require additional steps to be taken in order to provide the medication. These steps may include:
- Prior authorizations: This means that you doctor must tell the insurance company why he/she is using the medication.
- Step therapy: This means that you have tried other drugs for you condition and they have not worked or no longer work for you.
- On label use: This means that the drug is being used for a condition approved by the FDA.
- High co-pays: This means that your insurance company makes you pay a large part of the cost of the drug. Our service will work on your behalf to reduce this cost.
It is important to us that you are able to access the medications your doctor prescribes for you. We will do everything we can to make this happen.
UAMS Specialty Pharmacy Services has access to many specialty medications, and we will do our best to provide you with the medicine you need. Sometimes the makers of specialty medications limit which pharmacies can carry their drugs. This is called limited distribution. Your insurance may also require you to use a certain specialty pharmacy. If we are unable to fill your specialty medication prescription, we will work with your specialty pharmacy to be sure you receive the care you need. Our specialists and coordinators will work on your behalf with the insurance company and assistance programs even if we do not fill the medication at our pharmacy. All UAMS patients are our patients and we are here for you. Do not hesitate to call if we can be of service.