All staff (which includes employees, non-employees and students) who suffer a parenteral (e.g. needle stick or cut) or mucous membrane (e.g., splash to the eye, nose or mouth) exposure to blood or other body fluids, or who have a cutaneous exposure involving large amounts of blood or prolonged contact with blood, especially when exposed skin is chapped, abraded, or afflicted with dermatitis, will:
- Report the incident immediately to their supervisor or instructor.
- Be evaluated for risk of injury as soon as possible so prophylactic treatment, if recommended can be initiated within two (2) hours. (All employees, non-employees and students who have a blood/body fluid exposure are to receive a medical evaluation regardless of the type of exposure or risk status of the source patient.)
- Complete required Employee/Student Injury and Incident Report Form (I&I).
- Employees must call the Company Nurse Injury Hotline at 1-855-339-1893 as soon as possible.
- During normal business hours, exposed individuals should contact the Preventive Occupational Environmental Medicine Clinic (POEM- open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) at 501-686-6565.
- After hours, exposed individuals should contact the Emergency Department (ED) at 501-686-2085 for evaluation.
Needle stick/Sharps Injuries and Blood/Body Fluid Exposure Policy HR.4.01
POEM Main Clinic: 4301 W. Markham, Little Rock, AR., 72205 Central Building Room G600
Open from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday Closed for Holidays
Located on the ground floor of the Central Building at room G 820 off the corridor leading to the parking deck (Parking 2)
Phone number: 501-686-6565