At UAMS Kids First, we offer evidence-based high quality early learning experiences for young children. Intervention services are provided in a developmentally appropriate group care setting with focus on each child’s individual needs. Our interprofessional team of early childhood specialists, therapists, nurses, social workers, dietitians, and physicians works with each family to create a unique plan of services to help their child reach their highest potential.
Each child’s individualized treatment plan helps direct the services and daily activities for the child while at UAMS Kids First. While we hope that children think they’ve just come to play in our treatment rooms and playgrounds with their friends, our interprofessional staff are deliberately creating opportunities for child to work on skills necessary to achieve developmental milestones.
Our Day Habilitation Services
- Are based on developmentally appropriate practice and evidence-based curriculum and assessment
- Include routines and daily activities that encourage cognitive, motor, and social emotional development
- Encourage the development of functional skills and independence
- Offer daily movement, physical activity, and outdoor play for children of all abilities
- Serve breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snack
- Feature a very low adult to child ratios in each treatment room
- Provided by highly trained Early Childhood Development Specialists and nurturing Caregivers.
Research has shown that developmentally appropriate curriculum combined with ongoing assessment and individualized programming produces high quality, long lasting benefits for young children.
UAMS Kids First utilizes the Arkansas approved early childhood curricula Adventures in Learning and Adventures for Toddlers. Every day within our treatment rooms, the curriculum is adapted to meet individual needs while challenging and engaging our young learners. UAMS Kids First Early Childhood Development Specialists and nurturing Caregivers incorporate other materials and activities to promote positive outcomes for children. High quality developmental therapies, as well as any needed medical or nutritional support, are incorporated into the group setting whenever possible. This team approach is at the heart of the UAMS Kids First model and allows us to provide coordinated, interdisciplinary, comprehensive services while maximizing communication among staff and minimizing disruptions to the child’s day.