Also called: Clinical Studies
There are many benefits to participating in a clinical trial:
- health care provided by leading physicians in the field of cancer research
- access to new drugs and interventions before they are widely available
- close monitoring of your health care and any side effects
- a more active role in your own health care
- if the approach being studied is found to be helpful, you may be among the first to benefit
- an opportunity to make a valuable contribution to cancer research
There is no guarantee that participating in a clinical trial will result in a positive outcome for every patient. New treatments may have benefits for some people, but not for others. However, by taking part in a clinical trial, you are playing a vital role in cancer research that can potentially benefit many patients in the future.
If you decide to participate in a clinical trial, you will work with a research team. Team members may include doctors, nurses, social workers, dieticians and other health care professionals. They will provide your care, monitor your health carefully and give you specific instructions about the study.