Care Centered on Moms and Their Babies
Please call 501-280-3313 to talk to a Centering Coordinator about becoming part of this innovative way to experience pregnancy.
What is CenteringPregnancy
CenteringPregnancy is prenatal care that includes your regular health check-up with extra time for learning and sharing.
Groups start after your first trimester. You will meet with your doctor and other women who have due dates close to yours for 10 sessions throughout your pregnancy.
CenteringPregnancy is a great way for you to learn and to experience your pregnancy with other women. At each session, you will join other moms who have the same questions you do. Together, you will learn important information about how to care for yourself and your new baby.
How does it work?
You will do some of your own care, such as weighing yourself and taking your blood pressure and will have time alone with your doctor. There will also be group discussion, snacks and activities in a fun and relaxed setting. Your doctor, nurse and other members of your care team will lead the sessions.
Who is in the group?
Your group will include eight to ten other mothers who are due about the same time you are. As the months go by, you will get to know each other. Sometimes partners and support people join the group too. We do ask that you find someone to care for other children during these sessions.
How much time does it take?
We respect your time – groups start and end on time. Each monthly session lasts about two hours. Scheduling in advance makes it easier to plan for work, childcare and other commitments. Sessions are usually held at the same time each month. There are no more long waits to see your doctor for monthly appointments.
With Centering you…
- Have more time with your doctor and care team
- See the same doctor every visit
- Participate more in your healthcare
- Have a dedicated centering coordinator to help with your care
- Have regularly scheduled appointments that begin and end on time
- Learn more about pregnancy
- Are better prepared for birth
- Are better prepared to care for your baby
- Have fun!
Benefits of Centering
- Moms who participate in a Centering group are less likely to have a preemie.
- Moms feel more confident about making healthy decisions for their families and themselves
- Moms have higher breastfeeding rates, which is good for both mom and her baby
- Moms learn more about pregnancy, breastfeeding and taking care of their baby in group sessions
- Moms have more time with their family – no long waits for appointments and no extra classes for breastfeeding or baby care.
- Moms say it’s fun!