Surgeons can restore missing parts and function through reconstructive surgery. Many of these procedures help repair wounds and restore appearance and quality of life. The common body parts needing reconstruction include
- Abdomen: Remove excessive and redundant tissue
- Breasts: Replace missing breast from cancer or reduce very large breasts
- Extremities: Restore missing skin and soft-tissue and save limbs from amputation when bones or joints are exposed
- Face: Repair wounds and improve scars.
- Scalp: Repair missing scalp from cancer, infection, keloid, or accident.
- Skin: Remove and repair skin cancer, lumps, scars, and pressure injury ulcers.