Also called: Couples Intensives; Weekend Intensive
Couples intensive therapy sessions are custom designed by the director of The Couples Center at UAMS, Chelsea Wakefield, Ph.D., LCSW, to meet the needs of each couple.
Issues we can address include:
- “We fight all the time about everything.”
- The devitalized relationship – “We have nothing in common. We’ve lost that loving feeling. What are we doing together?”
- Affairs and other betrayals.
- Sexual difficulties – sexual desire issues, inability to communicate, questions about what is normal, sexual dysfunctions, changing or challenging sexual arousal templates, pornography issues, changes related to aging or illness.
- Sexual enrichment for those who have a decent sex life that they are seeking to make great.
- Family Issues – children, in-laws, parents, care-giving, step-family issues, ex-spouses.
- Adjustment difficulties – Becoming parents, midlife changes, empty nest, retirement, dealing with serious illness or profound loss.
- Divorce discernment.
- Pre-marital exploration, negotiation, and discernment.
The process of couples intensive therapy usually includes:
- A telephone pre-interview with each partner to determine if you are candidates for this experience.
- Between 12 and 18 hours of intensive work with Dr. Wakefield at The Couples Center. This will take place in three-hour blocks of session work in the morning and afternoon of two or three days, usually a Saturday/Sunday (12 hours) or a Friday thru Sunday (18 hours). Some weekday possibilities are available with three months advanced planning.
- Follow up – One session via teleconference one month following the intensive. Another follow up teleconference six months later. Additional in-between sessions can be scheduled, if desired.
Cost of a weekend intensive itself varies from $4,500 to $6,000 depending on the number of hours and the needs of the couple. Please inquire by contacting The Couples Center.