Vision, Mission, Core Values
UAMS, with its intersection of education, research and clinical programs, brings a unique capacity to lead health care improvement in Arkansas. Among its assets for leadership are its status as the only academic health center in the state, its statewide network of centers for public education and clinical outreach, its emphasis on population health, and its leadership in health informatics and statewide information technology.
In addition, UAMS has a unique capacity for translational research — speeding the rate at which research can inform clinical care and health improvement.
By the year 2020 UAMS will:
- Create an integrated, patient-centered health care environment that effectively and efficiently produces better health outcomes, enhances the patient and family experience and fosters clinical program growth at UAMS;
- Educate culturally competent professionals equipped with the knowledge, skills and abilities to adapt to changes in the health care field;
- Continue to develop and expand nationally recognized, multi-disciplinary research programs aligned with health needs in the state and nation;
- Develop research, educational and technical assistance expertise in population-health strategies to promote prevention efforts for high-priority health issues and to improve the health of Arkansans; and
- Support the talent-rich environment at UAMS through employee support programs, enhanced organizational communication and employee development.
See the complete UAMS Strategic Plan
The mission of UAMS is to improve the health, health care and well-being of Arkansans and of others in the region, nation and the world by:
- Educating current and future health professionals and the public
- Providing high-quality, innovative, patient- and family – centered health care and specialty expertise not routinely available in community settings
- Advancing knowledge in areas of human health and disease and translating and accelerating discoveries into health improvements
Integrity – We foster, encourage and expect honesty, accountability and transparency in pursuit of the highest ethical and professional standards in all that we do. We take responsibility for our performance, and will communicate our critical decisions to our employees, patients, students and stakeholders.
Respect – We embrace a culture of professionalism with respect for the dignity of all persons, honoring the unique contributions provided by a diversity of perspectives and cultures.
Diversity – We are committed to the importance of the diversity of UAMS leadership, faculty, staff and students in order to enhance the education of our students, reduce racial and ethnic health disparities in
our state, and provide an environment in which all employees and views are welcomed.
Teamwork – We seek to create interdisciplinary, synergistic and collegial relationships characterized by honesty, collaboration, inclusiveness and flexibility.
Creativity – We encourage and support innovation, imagination, ingenuity, resourcefulness and vision.
Excellence – We strive to achieve, through continuous improvement and adherence to institutional policies and best practices, the highest quality and standards in all our endeavors.