Milk Supply for Preterm Baby￼
What is Colostrum?
- Helps baby’s digestion
- Nutrient-dense with protein, fats and vitamins
- Helps prevent jaundice
- Special milk made in the first few days
- Supports baby’s immune system
- Like a medicine that only a baby’s mother can provide
How do I collect colostrum for my baby?
- You can use the materials in this kit to collect colostrum for your baby.
- Hand expression and pumping are both important, effective ways to collect colostrum and boost milk supply. Gently massage your breast for about 5 minutes and then pump for 15 minutes. You can massage/hand express after pumping to stimulate your breasts and retrieve even more milk.
- All milk MUST be labeled with either the infant or mother’s label and the date and time of expression written on the label.
How will the colostrum be used?
- Using syringes, either you or your baby’s NICU nurse can gently place colostrum inside your baby’s cheeks, where it will be absorbed into the body and help his or her immune system.
- Oral colostrum care is very safe, even in the smallest and sickest babies in the NICU, and it may help prevent infection in your baby.