Arkansas Race for the Cure 2017-03-27T13:19:31-05:00

Race for the Cure 2013

Learn more about breast services at UAMS.

Join us for the 2013 Komen Arkansas Race for the Cure Saturday, October 19 in downtown Little Rock. We invite UAMS employees, students, patients, survivors, friends, family and others to sign up to join our team.

  • Register online 
  • October 6 – Last day to register and have your Komen shirt mailed to you.
  • After October 6, you will need to pick up your Komen shirt at the Race Space (you will need to have your online receipt).
  • To pick up your UAMS shirt, watch our Facebook posts for information.
  • To be counted as part of our team, please register before October 16.

For more information, contact UAMS team captain Celese Marshall by e-mail at cmarshall@uams.edu.

Registration

Team UAMS graphicRegistration is online only. It’s quick, easy and completely secure. The UAMS team captain is notified as soon as you register.

Your race T-shirt and bib will be mailed directly to you at the address you list when you register. You will not have to pay for the postage for your T-shirt. You will also receive a UAMS T-shirt for signing up with the UAMS team.

If you register soon, your chances are better to get the Komen size T-shirt you want since processing begins for online registrants first. (Although shipping does not begin until early September, online registrations are processed in the order that they are received. Processing for offline teams will not begin until mid-September.)

You can register other family members at the same time. You can also buy Pasta Party tickets and access the online store.

If your son or daughter registers online for Kids for the Cure, he/she has a better chance of getting a T-shirt.

About the Race for the Cure

Did you know that in Arkansas there are 25 counties (one out of every three) that have no fixed mammography services? The need to help the underserved in our state is great.

The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® Series, the largest series of 5K runs/fitness walks in the world, raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease. Since 1983, the Komen Race for the Cure series has grown from one local race with 800 participants to a global series of more than 120 Races with more than 1 million people expected to participate in 2013.

The Komen Race for the Cure is a unique event, designed and implemented to promote positive awareness, education and early detection of breast cancer. Promoting the understanding that breast cancer is not necessarily fatal if mammography and breast self-exam become routine, the Komen Race for the Cure is an emotionally charged event that attracts people of all ages and fitness levels.

Up to 75% of the funds raised at the Race remain here in Arkansas to provide breast health research, diagnostics, screening, treatment, services and education for uninsured or underinsured women. The remaining 25% goes to fund national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, to find a cure.

Why we need your support

Every step counts! Your donation provides women and men in Arkansas with services that have literally saved lives. You help make the following programs possible:

  • Free mammograms and diagnostics.
  • Medical treatment for qualified breast cancer patients who cannot afford care, including surgery, chemotherapy and radiation.
  • Support services including support groups, assistance with finding financial resources, prescription refills and transportation to medical appointments.
  • Education about the warning signs of breast cancer, methods of early detection and the latest treatment options.
  • Cutting-edge research to find a cure for breast cancer.