|Food Group||Amount Per Day||Suggested Foods||Examples|
|Grains||5 to 7 ounces||
– Whole grain bread
1 ounce =
– Skim or low-fat milk
|Meats and beans (protein)||5-6 ounces||– Lean beef, chicken pork, turkey and lamb
– Shrimp, oysters, crab and clams
– Cooked dry beans and peas (includes are kidney beans, soybeans, pinto beans, lentils)
– Nuts and seeds (includes sunflower seeds, peanuts, peanut butter and almonds)
– Halibut, cod, herring, yellowfin tuna and rainbow trout
|2 ounces =
|Vegetables||3 or more cups per day||
-Canned, fresh or frozen vegetables
1 cup =
|Fruits||2 cups or more||
-Fresh, canned, dried or frozen fruits
|1 cup =
Foods to Stay Away From or Restrict
- Eat 12 oz or less per week of fish and shellfish that have lower concentrations of mercury (canned light tuna, salmon, catfish and shrimp).
- Fish with high mercury levels should be avoided (tile fish, shark, king mackerel and swordfish). You should limit albacore (white) tuna to 6 oz per week, because it has more mercury than canned ligh tuna.
- Hot dogs, bologna, lunch meats and other deli meats unless they are heated until steaming hot.
- Uncooked meats, poultry, fish or eggs.
- If you are unsure about locally caught fish, don’t eat more than 6 oz per week.
Fruits and Vegetables:
- Unpasteurized apple cider or juices
- Raw sprouts
- Large amounts of caffeine
- Some types of herbal tea. To be safe, you should avoic drinking herbal teas or ask your doctor before drinking.
- Unpasteurized or raw milk or cheese and dairy products that have been made with unpasteurized milk
- Blue cheese
- Soft cheese
- Soft serve yogurt
Other items to avoid:
- Illicit drugs
- Vitamins or mineral supplements other than what your healthcare prescribed
- Herbal remedies or supplements