Diabetic Diet: Meat Choices
Meat (1 ounce = 7 grams of protein, 0 grams of carbohydrate, fat varies)
One ounce of meat is about the size of your thumb; 3 ounces is the size of a deck of cards. No more thant 3 ounces of protein at a meal is recommended. (Try to eat meats from this page only; unfortunately, this means nothing fried.)
Very Lean Meat Choices (0-1g fat/ounce and 35 calories)
- Poultry: Chicken or turkey (white meat, no skin), Cornish hen (no skin).
- Fish: Fresh or frozen cod, flounder, haddock, halibut, trout, lox, tuna fresh or canned in water.
- Shellfish: Clams, crab, lobster, scallops, shrimp.
- Game: Duck or pheasant (no skin), venison, buffalo, ostrich.
- Cheese: Fat-free (less than 1 gram of fat/ounce), low fat cottage cheese.
- Other: Processed sandwich meats with less than 1 gram fat or less/ounce, such as:
- deli thin, shaved meats
- chipped beef, turkey ham
- egg whites (2)
- egg substitutes, plain
- hot dogs, fat free
- sausage, fat free or less than 1 gram fat/ounce
Lean Meat Choices (3g fat/ounce and 55 calories)
- Beef: USDA Select or Choice grades trimmed of fat such as round, sirloin, flank steak, tenderloin, roast (rib, chuck, rump); steak (T-bone, porter house, cubed); ground round.
- Pork: Lean pork such as fresh ham, canned, cured, or boiled ham, Canadian bacon, tenderloin, center loin chop.
- Lamb: Roast, chop or leg.
- Veal: Leap chop, roast.
- Poultry: Chicken, turkey (dark meat, no skin), chicken (white meat, with skin), domestic duck or goose (well-drained of fat, no skin).
- Fish: Herring (uncreamed or smoked), Oysters, Salmon (fresh or canned), catfish, Sardines (canned), tuna (canned in oil, drained).
- Game: Goose (no skin, rabbit).
- Cheese: 4.5% fat cottage cheese, grated parmesan, cheeses with 3 grams of fat or less/ounce.
- Hot dogs with 3 grams of fat or less per ounce.
- Processed sandwich meat with 3 grams of fat or less per ounce.
Medium Fat Meat Choices (5 grams of fat/ounce, 75 calories)
- Beef: Most beef products fall into this category (ground beef, meatloaf, corned beef, short ribs, prime rib).
- Pork: Top loin, chop, Boston butt, cutlet.
- Lamb: Rib roast, ground.
- Veal: Cutlet (ground or cubed, unbreaded).
- Poultry: Chicken (dark meat, with skin), ground turkey or ground chicken, fried chicken.
- Fish: Any fried fish product.
- Cheese: Feta, mozzarella, ricotta, or any with 5 grams of fat or less/ounce.
- Egg (high in cholesterol; limit 3/week)
- Sausage with 5 grams of fat or less/ounce
- Tofu (½ cup)
High Fat Meat Choices (7 grams of fat/ounce, 100 calories)
Remember that these items are high in saturated fat, cholesterol, and calories and may raise blood cholesterol levels if eaten on a regular basis.
- Pork: Spareribs, ground pork, pork sausage.
- Cheese: All regular cheeses, such as American, cheddar, Monterey Jack, Swiss.
- Processed sandwich meats with 8 grams of fat/ounce, such as bologna, pimento loaf, salami.
- Sausage, such as bratwurst, Italian, knockwurst, Polish, smoked.
- Hot dog (1)
- Bacon (3 slices)
- Peanut butter (1 Tbsp.)