Specifics of Your Physical
Upon arrival at the UAMS Family Medical Center, you will be greeted by a nurse, who will review the tests and procedures with you before your physical begins. You will then be introduced to a UAMS doctor who will complete your medical history and perform a complete physical examination.
You may need to have some tests performed before the date of your examination so your doctor will have test results in advance. All tests will be designed specifically to your needs based on your age, gender and risk factors.
These tests may include:
- Laboratory screening tests
- A chest X-ray
- Electrocardiogram (EKG) – tracing of the heart’s electrical activity
- Nutritional evaluation
- Psychological screening evaluation
- TB skin test – Tuberculosis screening
- Visual and hearing screening
- Vital capacity – lung function tests
Some optional testing may be recommended, including:
- Treadmill stress test – every 3 to 5 years
- Colonoscopy – every 5 to 10 years with past normal exam
- Cardiac CT – calcium scoring
- Mammography – for women only, a low dose X-ray of breast tissue
- Pap test (Pap smear) – for women only
You will be provided with educational information as a part of your visit. Our nurse will review your educational needs to provide you with appropriate materials. Multimedia computer programs as well as educational videos will be available for your use.
Things you should know before your appointment.