At UAMS, we understand that issues with swallowing can interfere with your quality of life. Our Voice and Swallowing Center offers comprehensive evaluation and management for your swallowing difficulties. You may need swallowing therapy if you:
- Complain of difficulty or pain when swallowing liquid or solid food
- Suffer from frequent choking during meals
- Have a history of swallowing difficulties related to acid reflux disease
- Have Parkinson’s disease, Cerebral Palsy, Multiple Sclerosis or ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
- Develop swallowing problems after sickness, surgery or changes in medications
Our Center offers complete diagnostic and treatment services for swallowing disorders including Flexible Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing with Sensory Testing (FEESST) and Trans-nasal Esophagoscopy (TNE).
FEESST is a state-of-the-art nonradioactive alternative to modified barium swallow studies. This exam allows for direct assessment of the motor and sensory aspects of the swallow. The benefits of FEESST are:
- Immediate results with convenient in-office procedure
- Practical recommendations for dietary and behavioral management
- Assistance in dietary upgrade or oral feeding for people who are on gastrostomy tube feedings
- Management of symptoms with appropriate swallowing rehabilitation
Trans-Nasal Esophangoscopy (TNE)
TNE is a revolutionary procedure that allows physicians to view the esophagus without sedation. This procedure examines the esophagus with an ultra thin flexible endoscope that is passed via the nose into the esophagus and can be performed in an office setting instead of more invasive procedures performed in a hospital.
Our voice and swallowing specialists employ a multidisciplinary approach to provide an individualized treatment plan for every patient. If you are experiencing voice or swallowing difficulties, please call 501-686-8000 for an appointment with our caring and compassionate staff members.
For more information on swallowing therapy or to make an appointment, contact our Ear, Nose and Throat Clinic .