Patient Education and Resources
Ottenheimer Cancer Education Center at UAMS
Most patients find that cancer is easier to confront and handle when they know the facts about cancer and its treatment. If you are feeling overwhelmed and are looking for ways to assist a friend or family member with cancer, the Ottenheimer Cancer Education Center at the Winthrop P. Rockefeller Cancer Institute provides a collection of the most current cancer information.
Our Education Center is open to patients, families, staff and the public. We offer the following free resources to the community:
- Brochures and booklets about cancer types and treatment options
- Assistance in accessing online medical journals
- Information about cancer prevention
- Books and video tapes for use by families or community groups
The Education Center also offers resources for Cancer Institute patients and their families:
- A quiet family room for resting between appointments
- Free wigs, hats and turbans for patients undergoing chemotherapy treatment
- Free Internet access for e-mailing family and friends
Look Good . . . Feel Better®
For women in various stages of cancer treatment who may experience appearance-related side effects, UAMS has partnered with the Look Good . . . Feel Better program. Patients enrolled in this program receive products donated by cosmetics companies and personal attention from professionals trained to meet their needs. Helpful instruction booklets and other tools are also available. Professional advice is provided on wigs, scarves and accessories.